Reborn n00b - which download?

padmavyuha

Reborn n00b - which download?

Post by padmavyuha » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:11 am

Hi, a little confused here - I've just come back to folding after a long break, with a new mac (3.33GHz C2D iMac with 8Gb ram, OSX 10.6.2) and the download page is offering me 3 choices of software:

What's the difference between the top two options? Apart from the fact that the 2nd one yields a .pkg that Installer says it can't open, that is... :)

I'm running the top one at the moment, with switches -smp -forceasm -advmethods - are there other switches I should be running (or any of these I should not be running, or running differently) for optimum performance?

I only see one FahCore_A3.exe process running in Activity Monitor (the last time I was running fah, on my mbp, it showed 4 separate processes) - is this just a change in how the app uses the system? AM seems to show both processors being used.

Thanks in advance for your time.

toTOW
Site Moderator

Re: Reborn n00b - which download?

Post by toTOW » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

-forceasm flag doesn't apply to smp clients, you can drop it.

A3 core is thread based, while older SMP cores (A1 and A2) were process based. So you'll only see one A3 process using all your CPUs.

IMHO, you installed the latest client ... so it's the best choice :mrgreen:
Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.

FAH-Addict : latest news, tests and reviews about Folding@Home project.

padmavyuha

Re: Reborn n00b - which download?

Post by padmavyuha » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Merci - I see one process running in Activity Monitor, with 6 threads for some reason :). As I mentioned in my thread over in the OSX app forum, I thought this one wasn't running much faster than my MacBook Pro, but of course it's a much bigger WU than I was running before, and still getting through the frames faster. And, interestingly, no sign of overheating or even of the fans ramping up.

Je n'osais pas essayer d'écrire ça en français - il y a une grande lacune dans mon lexique de mots techniques, dommage... !

Cependant, p@m :) - vogue la galère !

Return to “Mac OS X Beta”