Intel NON SMP client needed as 10.5.x has "nice" issues

adisor19

Intel NON SMP client needed as 10.5.x has "nice" issues

Post by adisor19 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:03 pm

Hello everyone,

As of OS X 10.5.4, the kernel still treats "nice" processes as "user" processes which makes my computer unusable while folding with an SMP client. Therefor, i'm looking for a NON SMP client for Intel OS X machines so that i can use my C2D for something.

Are there any plans for such a client while we wait for a beta GPU OS X one ? :)

Thx,

Adi

ABuffett

Re: Intel NON SMP client needed as 10.5.x has "nice" issues

Post by ABuffett » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:08 pm

Yes, I think it is good advice, for mac users, it is nice idea. :)
with cpu-z

GentleGiant

Post by GentleGiant » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:10 am

The MacOS scheduler does follow the priorities, and a niced task won't run if there's a normal priority task that needs the CPU.

I tried for a bit to see what could cause this problem you were seeing, and I believe it's got to be contention for RAM space.

The SMP units appear to need 200 to 400 MB in total between the 4 processes, depending on the project. On a machine with 512MB or even 1GB that's a big fraction of available memory, and it could certainly make the system unusable, as bits of your programs' code and data keep being paged out and re-read from disk.

The amount of system memory is reported to the FaH assignment servers, but I don't know if it's considered except for the largest of the SMP units, which may have a minimum for assignment.

codysluder

Post by codysluder » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:23 pm

You might try changing the BugWU setting to a smaller setting. I'm not sure how many smaller WUs are available so if you fail to get a new assignment, you may have to enlarge it again, but it's worth a try.

Adding more RAM may be the only good option.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:58 pm

You can easily check if RAM shortage is indeed the problem by looking at the System Memory tab in Activity Monitor. If "Page outs" is a large number, you've found the problem.
The biggest difference between time and space is that you can't reuse time.

Return to “Mac OS X Beta”